Ideally situated in Midtown Manhattan in New York City, the Empire State Building is a skyscraper that is undoubtedly one of the many things that make New York City’s skyline look rich and complete. The following are the Empire State Building Facts that you may find entertaining and useful.
1. One of the most notable and important Empire State Building Facts is that it was constructed in 1931, and at that time it was the tallest building in the world.
2. New York city is known as the Empire State and name of the building was taken from the state it is located in.
3. In the last part of 1970, the North Tower of the World Trade Center took away the title of tallest building from Empire State Building.
4. After the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack though, the Empire State Building was once again the tallest building, but only in New York and not in the United States and definitely not in the world. Burj Khalifa is currently the tallest building/ structure in the world.
5. In 2012 though, it was One World Trade Center that took away the title of the tallest building in the US from the Empire State Building. One World Trade Center is still the tallest building in the USA with height of 541 m.
6. Currently, the Empire State Building is the number four tallest structure in America, the 25th tallest building in the world, and the fifth tallest free-standing building in the Americas.
7. Another key Empire State Building Facts is that the construction of building was completed ahead of schedule. It only took one full year plus 45 days to finish the building and it was less than the scheduled completion date.
8. One of the many interesting facts about the Empire State Building is that the construction of the building cost half the amount that was estimated initially. The total cost was $40,948,000; this included the construction and the land where it sits.
9. The Empire State Building has 102 storeys, with 1860 steps from the street level up to the last floor.
10. Although a popular tourist attraction, the Empire State Building is actually a commercial structure with rentable business spaces inside.
11. The 86th and the 102nd floors of the Empire State Building offer the best views for the building visitors.
12. One of the most fascinating Empire State Building Facts is that the color of the Empire State Building’s lights change based on current events. After the Philippines was devastated hit by Super Typhoon Haiyan in 2013, the colors of the building lights were the colors (red, blue, yellow and white) of the Philippine flag. After the Paris Attack of November 2015, the building turned blue, white and red as per the colors of French Flag.
13. One incredible fact about the Empire State Building is that it does not share the code with any other structure in its location.. Zip Code 10118 is the very own zip code of the Empire State Building.
14. The Empire State Building’s lightning rod is averagely struck by lightning at 23 times every year.
15. Due to the tremendous popularity of the Empire State Building, it has been featured in several movies, like Independence Day, Sleepless in Seattle, King Kong, The Day after Tomorrow, and many more.
16. The Empire State Building will always hold the title as the world’s first building with more than 100 floors.
17. Perhaps the most popular search term related to the Empire State Building is its height. The height of the Empire State Building is 381 m or 1,250.0 ft.
Author: Tajirul Haque
Tajirul Haque is a travel enthusiast and freelance travel writer on Upwork. Having written hundreds of travel articles on so many travel destinations around the world for his clients, Tajirul started Top Travel Lists back in September 2014. Travel writing is his passion and he always loves to write about a new destination as it allows him to know about more beautiful places the planet has to offer. He is always available for freelance travel writing opportunities.